Lekki toll gate Lagos Nigeria; October 2020 is Nigeria 60th birthday celebration month but it turn out to be a period of violence and killings in the west African country after Nigerian youths begin peaceful protest against police brutality that turned bloody.
The killings and destruction of properties nationwide start after hoodlums hijack #EndSARS protest attacking people and destroying properties across the streets of Nigeria. Nigerian youths came out en masse to peacefully protest against police brutality, police extortion and end to SARS police unit.
Anger and shock as Nigerians around the world reacted after Nigeria Soldiers open fire of live bullets on unarmed #EndSARS protesters on Tuesday night around 6:45pm at Lekki toll gate in Lagos.
According to Amnesty international, says that Nigerian army and police killed at least 12 #EndSARS protesters on Tuesday in two locations, Lekki and Alausa in Lagos
Veteran Nigerian DJ, Disk Jokey simply known as DJ Switch go live on instagram to stream to the whole world as the incident unfold at Lekki toll gate, Nigeria Soldiers open guns fire on End SARS protesters while waving Flag as they sing Nigeria National Anthem which resulted in killing at least 15 people that night.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday meeting with all former Nigerian leaders say that a total number of 69 people have been reportedly killed during the End SARS violence in Nigeria.
They included, 51 civilians, 11 police officers and 7 soldiers.
President Buhari finally break silence on Thursday evening, 48 hours after the armed Soldiers open guns fire on unarmed #EndSARS protesters on Tuesday around 6:45pm at Lekki toll gate in Lagos.
The work of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of police is to protect Nigerians against armed robbery, violence and crimes but reverse is the case as the unit launches torture, extortion and brutality on Nigerian youths across the nation.
The End SARS protest start after an online viral video which spotted SARS officers allegedly shoot dead a young man in early October in Delta state.
Style of protest
Nigerian youths have been protesting against police brutality for many years now but is amazing as 2020 protests gained huge support world wide.
Nigerian celebrities come out in support to an end of police brutality in Nigeria. Nigerian musicians Falz and Runtown joined the Lagos protest and make it clear that they should not see them as leaders of End SARS protests. In fact the youths said that they have leader.
Some of the youths volunteer their time and everything to protest against police brutality and end to bad governance in Nigeria but what shocked most people is that, there is no one single out as the leader of the protest
Most of them cook food and share drinks to people that come out for the protest.
Since 3rd of October 2020, thousands of Nigerian youths storm the streets with placards in one voice sending clear message to scrap SARS and end police brutality.
Hoodlums begin to attack the protesters in Lagos, Abuja and Kano
Because of the violence about ten states governors declare curfew to restore law and order.
Here are the states where curfew has been declared; Lagos, Delta, Edo, Imo, Abia, Ekiti, Ondo, Rivers, Plateau and Osun.
Nigeria President, Muhammadu Buhari say l’m pained for the innocent lives that lost during the series of protests in Nigeria.
President also pay tribute to the officers of of the Nigerian police force who died in line of duty and thank the state Governors, traditional and religious leaders for restoring calm and order.
Key events that happen since the protest start
- 8 October 2020- Nigeria musicians Falz, Runtown lead End SARS protest in Lagos as they issue their five for five demands.
- 11 October 2020- Nigeria inspector- General of Police Mohammed Adamu dissolved the Special Anti – Robbery Squad of Nigeria Police Force.
- 12 October 2020 – one person shoot dead at Surulere as police arrest End SARS protesters in Lagos.
- 13 October 2020- IGP create new tactical team (SWAT) to replace SARS squad.
- 14 October 2020- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey tweet to ask for donations for the End SARS protesters.
- 16 October 2020- Twitter create new emoji with Nigerian flag colours to designed #EndSARS protest.
- 19 October 2020- Benin Prison break, Obaseki declare 24-hour curfew after hoodlums hijack protest
- 19 October 2020 – Nigerian states begin impose curfew for #EndSARS protest
- 20 October 2020- Senate ask President Buhari to address Nigerians immediately.
- 20 October 2020- Nigeria Soldiers shoot End SARS protesters kill one and injure 30
- 21 October 2020- Hoodlums set TVC, LTV, BRT buses terminal and police stations on fire and also attacked Oba of Lagos palace.
- 22 October 2020- Hoodlums attack Ikoyi correctional centres, violence in Delta and Rivers State
- 22 October 2020- President Muhammadu Buhari address Nigerians ask youth to end the protest.