Coronavirus case has been confirmed in Ivory Coast, Kenya, Ethiopia and Botswana but later recorded that Botswana case is negative for restriction has been pace on the affected countries in Africa
The coronavirus was confirmed in the Chinese city of Wuhan on January 7, 2020. Cases have since been confirmed in several other Asian countries, Europe and the United States.
The World Health Organisation, WHO, has since declared it a public health emergency of international dimensions. WHO chief Tedros Ghebereyesus said whiles China had a robust health system to detect and control, his outfit remained concerned about the virus entering country’s with weak systems.
Almost all African governments have publicly put in place strict screening at points of entry especially airports. Ivory Coast, Kenya, Ethiopia and Botswana have recorded suspected cases. All except Botswana have reported that the tests were negative. African airlines have cancelled scheduled flights to China except for Ethiopian Airlines.
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that range from the common cold to MERS coronavirus, which is Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus and SARS, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus.
In this article, we will share the latest developments as authorities implement measures to contain the spread of the virus, especially on the African continent.
Rwanda’s health minister fired
Chinese national quarantined in Kenya
West African countries collaborate
Egypt records Africa’s first case
Uganda to send financial assistance to stranded students
Chinese doctor in Liberia offers help
South African company to export face masks to China
Africa’s response capacity boosted by WHO
Ethiopian defends stance on flying to China
Africa ADC asks countries to allow citizens return home
Ethiopia to quarantine all Wuhan entrants
Ghana records negative outcome for two suspected cases
Kenya to repatriate its students from Chinese city of Wuhan
Chinese embassy in Kenya issues orders
Africa’s first infection happens in China
African trio record cases, Air Tanzania ditches China route
Kenyan records new case, Nigeria ‘battle ready’
African airlines suspend flights to China
Ethiopia suspected cases test negative
Ethiopian Airlines denies reports of suspending flights
Ivory Coast’s suspected case tests negative
Mozambique suspends visa-on-arrival for travelers from China
Ethiopia isolates four suspected cases
Kenya rushes suspected case to hospital
Ivory Coast conducts first tests on African continent
Interview: Ethiopian student in Wuhan shares lockdown experience
Rwanda health minister fired
Rwanda’s president Paul Kagame on Sunday revealed how the country’s health minister had been fired over mishandling of coronavirus testing kits.
In a stinging rebuke on his ministers, Kagame accused several of them including the ex-health minister Diane Gashumba of lying, carelessness and indiscipline.
Kagame, who was speaking at the National Leaders’ Retreat said Gashumba lied to him about the availability of kits to test individuals for the deadly Coronavirus, Covid-19.
“One morning, I called one of the leaders and the Prime Minister about the Coronavirus and asked that they examine each one of us ahead of the Leader’s Retreat. I told them to tell the minister of health to ensure this.’‘
“She responded that we have 3,500 kits, and that using 400 of them to test leaders would seriously deplete the number of kits we have. The person I sent told her that the message is an instruction, and that if she has objections she should call me.
“Later we discovered that we do not have the kits as she said. We have kits for only 95 people and not 3,500. I asked her about this and she started giving excuses in a long story. You leaders, you cannot even speak the truth; how do you expect to solve problems?” President Kagame said.
The prime minister’s office on Friday said it had relieved Gashumba of her duties following ‘a series of habitual gross errors and repeated leadership failures’. Gashumba had been health minister since 2016.
Chinese national quarantined in Kenya
Authorities in Kenya are on high alert after a Chinese national after an alarm was raised by his workers at the state-owned Chinese engineering company Sinohydro Corporation, saying a Chinese national had been quarantined as a precautionary measure.
The local Daily Nation newspaper said the man has been isolated at the Mutomo campsite in Kitui county and is being served food through the window. He is part of a crew constructing a road north-east of Kenya’s capital Nairobi.
While there is no indication that the unnamed man, who returned from China’s north-eastern Hubei province on Sunday, has contracted the coronavirus, authorities say they were initially denied access to the suspected case.
“Our medical team wasn’t allowed to access the Chinese camp in Mutomo but we have taken the necessary measures to swiftly establish what is happening and ensure all people working and mingling with the foreigners are safe,” Kitui County Chief Officer for Health Richard Muthoka said.
Muthoka said police had been notified to compel the Chinese to allow health authorities access to the site. Authorities in Kenya previously issued a directive that all travelers from China are isolated for at least 14 days.
“Even if these people have been tested at the point of entry, we can’t afford to take chances. The locals are worried because they are mingling with the Chinese coming from regions with coronavirus outbreak,” Kitui South MP Rachael Nyamai said.